This lesson is based on the National Historic Landmark Nominations, “Robert Russa Moton High School” (with photographs), “Sumner and Monroe Elementary Schools” (with photographs), “Howard High School” (with photographs),and “John Philip Sousa Middle School” (with photographs), as well as the National Register Nomination for “Summerton High School,” and the National Historic Landmark Survey theme study entitled Racial Desegregation in Public Education in the United States.
1) To interpret the implication of the Plessy v. Ferguson court case to the history of segregated educational facilities in the United States.
2) To explain the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People’s (NAACP) role in the desegregation of public education in the United States.
3) To describe the five cases constituting Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court case.
4) To evaluate the importance of the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court case.
5) To determine the implications of the Brown v. Board of Education ruling on public schools in their own community.