Through a partnership between the University of South Carolina Libraries, the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities we can now read historic newspapers from across the state through the Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. These are great primary sources for the Civil War, Reconstruction, and Industrialization.
- The Anderson intelligencer. (Anderson, S.C.) Aug. 14, 1860-Jan. 29, 1896
- The Charleston daily news. (Charleston, S.C.) Sept. 8, 1865-April 5, 1873
- The Columbia daily phoenix. (Columbia, S.C.) May 15, 1865-July 29, 1865
- Columbia phoenix. (Columbia, S.C.) Mar. 21, 1865-April 8, 1865
- Columbia phoenix. (Columbia, S.C.) April 10, 1865-May 13, 1865
- The daily phoenix. (Columbia, S.C.) July 31, 1865-Oct. 2, 1877
- The Sumter watchman. (Sumterville, S.C.) Jan. 5, 1870-Dec. 25, 1872
- Tri-weekly phoenix. (Columbia, S.C.) Dec. 9, 1871-May 18, 1875
- The watchman and southron. (Sumter, S.C.) Aug. 2, 1881-Dec. 31, 1921
Just to pick one small item of interest, here is a contest from The Watchman and Southron from Sumter, SC on September 28, 1904. Imagine the thrill of winning a Ford in 1904!